Government and Patents:
ATV Table of Contents
Submit a New Site
Frequently Asked Questions
David M. Sander, Ph.D. (email@example.com
If you are interested in developing a WWW site for your lab or organization, please feel free to contact me for any needed advice and/or assistance.
Government Agencies of Interest to Virologists
Australian Government Sites
- The National Serology Reference Laboratory, Australia has worked to ensure that serological tests and testing in Australia are pristine. Their programs and services have developed and expanded to serve the quality assurance needs of diagnostic and transfusion laboratories, HIV and HCV therapeutic programs, the pharmaceutical industry, government, researchers, and the public. This site is one of the most comprehensive sources of information available about quality assurance in the laboratory.
Canadian Government Sites
- Laboratory Centre for Disease Control Health Protection Branch - Bureau of Microbiology, in collaboration with Provincial Laboratories, develops and uses cutting edge - laboratory technologies to define emerging infectious diseases and to enhance surveillance, prevention, investigation and control of infectious diseases of national and international public health importance.
French Government Sites
Japanese Government Sites
U.K. Government Sites
- The National Institute for Biological Standards and Control (NIBSC) UK, is a multidisciplinary scientific establishment with specialized expertise in the standardization and quality control of biological substances used in medicine. NIBSC has a National and European regulatory role in the control of biological medicines and is a World Health Organization International Laboratory for Biological Standards.
Other International Government Sites
U.S. Government Lists of Sites
Patent, Intellectual Property & Legal Resources
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) - For over 200 years, the basic role of the PTO has remained the same: to promote the progress of science and the useful arts by securing for limited times to inventors the exclusive right to their respective discoveries
- Patent Search -
- Kid's Pages - lots of fun information about technology and invention for kids and teachers.
- Independent Inventors Resources - with excellent information for new or experienced inventors including FAQs.
- European Patent Office (EPO) is an international patent-granting authority established under the European Patent Convention. The EPO was established as a result of exemplary co-operation between the states of Europe in the industrial property field. The EPO grants European patents under a unitary and centralised procedure. By filing a single patent application in any of the three official languages - English, French or German - an applicant can obtain patent protection in as many EPO member and extension states as he wants.
- World Intellectual Property Organization - (WIPO) is an intergovernmental organization with headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. It is one of the 16 specialized agencies of the United Nations system of organizations. WIPO is responsible for the promotion of the protection of intellectual property throughout the world through cooperation among States, and for the administration of various multilateral treaties dealing with the legal and administrative aspects of intellectual property.
- Derwent - is one of the World's leading providers of scientific and technical information of interest to patent and intellectual property professionals.
- Internet Patent News Service - is a mostly daily news service dealing with information about the patenting world. Topics include announcement from various Patent Offices around the world, stories about who is suing who, interesting new patents and styles of patent drafting, statistics on issued patents, reviews of patent books and computer programs, and biting commentary.
- FirstUse.com Online Registry - apply a digital fingerprint to you files to prove that they yours and keep a record of when you created them.
- Kuester Law - has a nice collection of patent and other technology law resources.
- MicroPatent Patent Retrieval - a global leader in the production and distribution of patent and trademark information.
- Patent Counsel's Home Page - Patent, trademark and copyright news, statistics and information provided by John F. Sieberth & Associates.
- Patent Cafe - This is a great site for learning about the patent process. Each step is explained in detail and there are special sections for various types of people - attorneys, small business, kids, etc.
- Product Invention.com - your portal for intellectual property development.Resources to help professional inventor/engineer/lawyer/agent with all aspects of the product and intellectual property development process. Find sources for prior art searching,language translations, patent drafting, design,engineering,cad,cam,marketing, infringement, and many more.
- The Copyright Website - this site demonstrates the basics of copyright for various uses an contains great examples.
- Questel/Orbit Patents Home Page - Specializing in the online provision of patent, trademark, scientific, technical, chemical, and business information, the companys business can be summarized as follows: to gather together leading sources of information; to restructure and convert these sources into electronic format for easy access; to add value; and to market the resulting information services in a wide variety of formats.
- The Wacky Patent of the Month is devoted to recognizing selected inventors and their remarkable and unconventional patented inventions.
- The Wisconsin Innovation Service Center - Market and Technical Assessment Service run by University of Wisconsin.
- Inventor's Assistance Service - Service offered by Oklahoma State University to help inventors navigate the inventing process from idea to marketplace.
- Handbook for Inventors - Handbook for inventors accessible from MIT.
- MIT Enterprise Forum - A network of 18 chapters in the U.S. and oversees that promotes the formation and growth of innovative companies though education programs.
- Invention and Design - Learning Modules offered by University of Virginia to promote understanding of invention and design process.
- Glossary of Terms - Glossary of intellectual property terms offered by Washington State University.
- Patent and Trademark Searching Tutorials in searching patents and trademarks offered by the Patent and Trademark Depository at the Richard W. McKinney Engineering Library, the University of Texas at Austin:
- Information on Patent and Trademark Searching
Search information and on-line searching sites for patents and trademarks offered by Rice University Patent and Trademark Depository Library.
U.S. Federal Government Sites
The federal government provides help for inventors in obtaining financing (loans, grants and venture capital) as well as help in marketing and setting up their own business.
Home | Table of Contents | FAQ
Submit a New Site