A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The Rare Diseases Research Unit (RDRU) of Pfizer is committed to the development of new
therapies to address unmet medical needs of those individuals with rare and neglected diseases
and to make a real impact on patient lives.
This is a really exciting time for Pfizer RDRU, which has recently established Bamboo Therapeutics in Chapel Hill, NC. Our laboratory is dedicated to the discovery and development of Gene Therapy based products and our commitment to rare disease research and to genetic medicine development is expected to be an area of tremendous growth in the coming years. Bamboo is fitted with state-of-the-art laboratories and equipment, providing the perfect environment for cutting-edge science and exciting projects
This individual will be working closely with fellow R&;D scientists to manufacture research grade plasmid DNA and AAV viral vectors to support AAV candidate selection for future gene therapy applications.
This position offers a challenging and exciting opportunity for implementing and learning different microbial and mammalian cell culture techniques and to solve complex biological problems. It also brings a unique chance to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues across the world while developing and expanding your career. The ideal candidate is a highly talented and self-motivated individual with a strong scientific background.
The role will be part of a small, but expanding team, that will have the responsibility for manufacturing research grade AAV-based gene therapy vectors to support early product development and AAV candidate selection. The role will involve working with equipment necessary for small-scale production of various AAV vectors and DNA plasmids. The individual must be able to conduct work with a quality mindset.
• Serve as a senior associate scientist for research grade DNA plasmid and AAV vector manufacturing who reports directly to the Senior Director overseeing multiple projects
•Manufacturing of AAV or other viral vectors for the purpose of aiding in the AAV candidate selection process for gene therapy programs.
•Manufacturing AAV vectors to support R&;D experimentation using shaker flasks, WAVE bioreactors, stir tank bioreactors, transfection, centrifugation, and chromatography techniques.
• Manufacturing of plasmid DNA to support AAV manufacturing and cloning projects
• Work with Senior Scientist and relevant teams to carry out project plans and meet timelines to support the early development of gene therapy programs
• Ensure high quality core support for projects.
• Ensure manufacturing supplies and reagents are available for use when needed
• Must ensure detailed lab notebooks are part of daily activities
• Support internal and external collaboration, through direct interactions, data analysis, and work plan alignment.
• Maintain laboratory in accordance with GLP-like practices.
• Establish SOP’s specific to the manufacturing job roles and activities to ensure consistency.
• Understand and follow various Pfizer guidelines.
This position is to be managed through Bamboo Therapeutics as part of the Rare Disease Research Unit. The position will have interactions with multiple functional lines within the company including the Pharmacological Sciences. In addition, the unit is designed to operate in a highly networked manner.