• Characterization of HIV-1 latent reservoir in tissue-resident CD4+ T cells and tissue macrophages
• Development of CTL-based strategies to eliminate circulating and tissue residing latent reservoirs for HIV-1
• Development of antibody-based immunological approaches to control HIV-1 infection and eliminate latent HIV-1
• Generation of patient-derived humanized mouse models as a pre-clinical platform to evaluate vaccine efficacy.
Publications related to the projects associated with the position:
1. Shan L*, Deng K*, Gao H, Xing S, Capoferri AA, Durand CM, Rabi SA, Laird GM, Kim M, Hosmane NN, Yang HC, Zhang H, Margolick JB, Li L, Cai W, Ke R, Flavell RA, Siliciano JD, Siliciano RF. Transcriptional Reprogramming during Effector-to-Memory Transition Renders CD4+ T Cells Permissive for Latent HIV-1 Infection. Immunity. 2017 Oct 17;47(4):766-775. * Co-first author.
2. Herndler-Brandstetter D*, Shan L*, Yao Y, Stecher C, Plajer V, Lietzenmayer M, Strowig T, de Zoete MR, Palm NW, Chen J, Blish CA, Frleta D, Gurer C, Macdonald LE, Murphy AJ, Yancopoulos GD, Montgomery RR, Flavell RA. Humanized mouse model supports development, function, and tissue residency of human natural killer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2017 Oct 25. * Co-first author.
3. Deng K, Pertea M, Rongvaux A, Wang L, Durand CM, Bhiaur G, Lai J, McHugh HL, Hao H, Zhang H, Margolick JB, Gurer C, Murphy AJ, Valenzuela DM, Yancopoulos GD, Deeks SG, Strowig T, Kumar P, Siliciano JD, Salzberg SL, Flavell RA*, Shan L*, Siliciano RF*. Broad CTL response is required to clear latent HIV-1 due to dominance of escape mutations. Nature. 2015 Jan 15;517(7534):381-5. * Co-corresponding author.
4. Shan L, Deng K, Shroff NS, Durand CM, Rabi SA, Yang HC, Zhang H, Margolick JB, Blankson JN, Siliciano RF. Stimulation of HIV-1-specific cytolytic T lymphocytes facilitates elimination of latent viral reservoir after virus reactivation. Immunity. 2012 Mar. 36(3): 491-501
For further information about the position, please visit: https://infectiousdiseases.wustl.edu/faculty-staff/liang-shan/
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter, CV, and the names and contact information for three references to Dr. Liang Shan at email@example.com.