The Project Manager develops (with UTHSC RBL personnel, collaborators and /or clients), leads, and manages studies at the Regional Biocontainment Laboratory (RBL). This position serves a key role in development, writing, costing and submission of grant, contract or fee for service proposals. The Project Manager manages RBL Service Center Research projects, provides administrative and scientific support for service contract through service center or grants/contracts, and provides support for the Service Center outreach, budget and resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Works across departments to manage and ensure successful research projects execution and outcomes from external and internal clients.
2. Collaborates with RBL staff to develop SOPs and/or study protocols required for research project. This may include development of SOPs for advance instrumentation and testing parameters to ensure success of each project.
3. Works with clients to develop study protocols to define precise study requirements. Prepares study reports for Service Center clients. Maintains database for tracking of all Service Center studies with support of the Business Manager.
4. Maintains records for all studies. Provides support for submission of IBC and IACUC protocols. Troubleshoots issues that arise in study execution in real-time.
5. Works with the Director, Staff and Business Manager to estimate project costs and submit quotes to customers. Works with faculty to provide scientific support for the submission of grants and contracts.
6. Identifies resources (e.g., pathogens, animal models) that may lead to new revenue streams.
7. Provides scientific expertise to determine potential directions for offerings from the Cores.
8. Works with Director, faculty and staff to develop new reagents and/or animal models.
9. Networks internally and externally with the intent to identify and attract potential Users of the RBL. Generates a database of clients and methodically make contact and discuss services. Provides marketing materials for clients and represent the RBL at booths.
10. Leads development and operation of nonGLP preclinical testing unit. Leads the development of the technical staff and serves as the lead technical expert of the RBL high end equipment including the FACS Aria II flow cytometer/cell sorter, Perkin Elmer JANUS robotics systems, Biorad qPCR, EnVision Plate Reader, Luminex Multiplex system, AppliedPrecision Delta Vision microscope, and IVIS live animal imager in BSL-3/ABSL-3 research.
11. Works with the RBL staff, Business Manager and Facility Operations Manager to manage costs required to support the Service Center.
12. Collaborates with faculty and staff in defining equipment that requires annual service agreements, and identification, demonstration and assessment of equipment or software that might enhance the RBL scientifically or technically. Works with staff to procure and inventory supplies needed for conduct of study.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.